Monday, March 26, 2007

Dark Nights

Today I saw 10 rabbits. And a fox. Nothing bloody happened, don't worry.

I also watched some of Batman: The Animated Series. I think it might just be the best Batman screen adaptation ever; it seems to get the tone just right.
Batman Begins is very, very good, but I seemed bogged down by having too much of a story to tell. So I've got very high hopes for The Dark Knight, even if Aaron Eckhart is playing Harvey Dent. He'll be even less charismatic than Katie Holmes.
But the buzz around it sounds good. Heath Ledger's inspiration point for playing the Joker is The Killing Joke by Alan Moore, which is great and dark and sinister. Should be better than Jack Nicholson's wacky portrayal.
There's something about old Bats that I just find appealing. I can even sit through Batman & Robin. Sometimes. Okay, well, maybe not, but I do like most of the things associated with him. Hell, I even like Batman of the Future. Yes, yes I do. I actually think it's very good. Yeah. Screw you.
The Animated Series got the right balance of noir chic and ripping yarn, where it's been botched in the past by trying to be either too moody or just shit.

Also, last night I finally watched the first episode of Heroes, after being badgered by many a peer. I wanted to watch it when it premiered, but alas my freeview box does not provide Sci-Fi. Luckily, Heroes is actually pretty damn good. I can't say too much right now because I'm only one episode in, but as first episodes go it's a hell of a lot better than Lost.
Don't even try to make a case for Lost. It's bad and you know it.
More on Heroes as it comes.

No comments: